Wednesday, February 27, 2008

So Long...

While many people of Hong Kong descent are talking these days about the passing of Lydia Shum (Fei-Fei), I have a different eulogy to write…

This eulogy is written for one who did not even have a name, but he has been a family member for several years. It is written for a father, though he had never had the chance to see his sons and daughters grow up. It is written for a gracious king, though he never ruled any land. This eulogy is written for my angel fish, who died early this morning after a long battle with fin rot.

I have always loved angel fishes. They were elegant and gracious when I had them as a child. I had many of them while I was growing up in Hong Kong, and I continued to have them ever since I moved to Vancouver. But of all the angel fishes I had, this is a pretty special one. He was the only one that actually fathered several broods of babies. Together with mother angel fish, they patrolled the fish tank, and would chase away any wandering fish who got too close to the leaves to which their eggs were located (a case of external fertilization, people!). I also watched them move the eggs with their mouths from one leaf to another, in search of a leaf that is located at the best location in the tank.

He had survived many diseases in the tank. A scarred fin was the medal of honour he proudly wore for living through an epidemic that killed over half the lives of the tank… When one of his fellow angel died two weeks ago, I did not really have much concern for him – yes, he was sick, but he fed as excitedly as he had always been. I have long learned that as long as a fish still feeds normally, its overall health is all right.

But last week, his eating became laboured. The tail and fit rot worsened, and he began hiding at a corner, always a terrible sign. Last night, it was a struggle to watch him grasping for air, fighting for his last breath…

Thank you for the memories. Your surviving wife will undoubtedly feel lonely without you. Rest in peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww... RIP Mr.Leung's angel father fish. :)
so you have like a huge aquarium tank at your house eh? I'd like to see pictures of it X3

-bess

Anonymous said...

oh wow Mr. Leung..
you must spend a lot of time just observing the tank. Sorry for you loss, but at least he has left a legacy behind.

cory