Friday, February 22, 2008

Hang in there!

In the many years I have been working, I have seen a lot of tears... People cry over different reasons, different people, different things... regardless of the reason, I'd say that I always have a soft spot for people when they cry.

Recently I have seen two incidents where those around me started crying: one where a student was attacked cowardly by four or five others, and one where a student's academic pressure was getting to her... The tears for the first student were not dropped because of pain; they were dropped due to the frustration that time after time, his family members were targets for these senseless, cruel acts (I witnessed one of his brothers being beaten before as well). For the second students, I don't think the tears were dropped because she got 95% instead of 97% on a test... it was because she was feeling helpless in an ultra-competitive academic world that places its focus on a number rather than learning and education...

To both I do not have an answer - I wish I can sit here from the comfort of my seat and tell you that everything is going to better tomorrow. The truth is, what lies ahead is anyone's guess. That said, I hope neither of you would live in a sense of hopelessness - our circumstances may not change, but somehow, we would prevail, with the help of those around us...

To you, I saw how your friend rushed back to the school after the incident, looking everywhere for you, fearing for your situation... You two may be always teasing one another, but in times of need, a friend always steps up.

To you, I saw how those around you are extending their hands to comfort you. They are going through the same frustration; their burdens are not necessarily lighter than yours... But the embrace, the listening ears... they all tell you the same strong and comforting message: you are never alone.

Hang in there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed reading your xanga posts, you write well + i'm nosey...i'm happy your blog is back! =) do you still remember me?

Black Shoulder said...

Of course I remember you, Diana! Thanks for visiting again.

Anonymous said...

hey! how are you mr.leung?

Anonymous said...

oops its Diane Tu by the way haha ...