Saturday, March 8, 2008

Senior Home

It has been a while since I have visited the senior home, but every time I go, I feel very blessed coming out of the building.

To be honest, the program we run is extremely amateurish, and even that is a generous comment. We are not good conversing with the senior citizens; we have lousy singing voices, and the games we play are often put together at the last minute. But every time we are there, we see how the old ladies and gentlemen would be greeting us with such joy. We can see that some of them really remember who we are, even if we only pay a visit every two months. This warms my heart.

Things have been very crazy at school lately. Work has been so hectic, I sometimes just do not consider myself having the time to go and make such a visit. But to come to think of it, if I cannot even spare two hours every two months to put a smile on the faces of some old and frail senior citizens, who may be very lonely and really in need of our company, then there is something terribly wrong with how I slot my time.

While I am never sure what I can bring to the senior citizens during such visits, I know, without the shadow of a doubt, that every time I visit them, they teach me so much about myself.

Looking forward to my next visit in May…

No comments: