Wednesday, April 15, 2009

NHL Playoffs First Round Predictions

I used to have a bragging rights tournament with my students when the Stanley Cup playoff rolls around every year. But since I am no longer an enrolling staff, I have to take these predictions online – challenge and better me with your predictions!

Western Conference:
#1 San Jose Sharks vs. #8 Anaheim Ducks: The Sharks have been perennial chokers in the playoffs. With mostly the same personnel, maybe it will happen again, but not against the un-disciplined Ducks. Sharks in 5.

#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #7 Columbus Blue Jackets: I am thankful that the Jackets are not playing the Canucks. Forget about the fact that Columbus has never played a single playoff game – this team is dangerous. Rick Nash is not a guy I want to face in the playoffs. Chris Osgood in goal for the Wings may just be the defending champs’ downfall, in spite of a well of experience everywhere in the line-up. I will be bold in this one: Wings in 7 (okay, maybe not that bold)

#3 Vancouver Canucks vs. #6 St. Louis Blues: It is time for Luongo to show everyone that he is the top playoff goalie that can carry the team to the promise land. I think Luongo’s chance of getting the #1 goalie job with Team Canada in 2010 relies heavily on how he does. The Canucks’ funky scoring ability worries me, but not enough to doubt Luongo in round 1. Canucks in 6.

#4 Chicago Blackhawks vs. #5 Calgary Flames: Next to the Canucks, the Flames is my favourite team, but this team is stumbling into the playoffs. The Hawks may be young, but they have the “Bulin Wall” that Calgary does not have anymore. Hawks in 5.

Eastern Conference:
#1 Boston Bruins vs. #8 Montreal Canadiens: Other than historical head-to-head records, tell me what the Canadiens have that would allow them to overpower the Bruins? This one will not be pretty for Habs fans. Bruins in 5.

#2 Washington Capitals vs. #7 New York Rangers: Some experts are picking the Rangers to upset the Caps due to Washington’s porous defence. Are they overlooking the Rangers’ anemic offence? (Not to mention: I have hated the Rangers since 1994). Capitals in 6.

#3 New Jersey Devils vs. #6 Carolina Hurricanes: Martin Brodeur and the Devils struggled down the stretch, but I am not betting anything against the all-time leaders in wins recorded by a goalie… at least, not yet. Devils in 6.


#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Philadelphia Flyers: The Penguins have a tonne of fire power, but somehow, they seemed to have taken a step back this year after they went to the Cup finals the year before. The runner-up of the Stanley Cup tournament typically does not fare too well the following year… Flyers in 7.

Let the playoffs begin!

No comments: