Tuesday, April 28, 2009

And then there are eight

Props to the NHL’s web designers, who had this very subtle but smart display of the last eight teams that remain in the struggle to Lord Stanley’s Mug: in the front page of NHL.com, they have the thirty team logos displayed at the top, but only the teams that are still alive are in colour. Like I’ve said, subtle, yet smart. (see below, and you'll know what I mean)
I went 5 and 3 in my first round predictions. I am not terribly surprised at the ones I got wrong, but was quite surprised at the way those teams lost: San Jose bowing out in the playoffs again after all the changes and acquisitions they have made to bolster their playoff readiness? Martin Brodeur not being able to shut the door in a game 7? Philadelphia choking away a 3:0 lead at home to lose to their hated rivals Penguins? I didn’t see those coming. (But I guess if I could see all of that coming, and can go 8:0 in my series prediction, I would have been hired as a hockey analyst.)

Anyway, here are the second round match-ups and my predictions:

#1 Detroit vs. #8 Anaheim – After watching the Ducks dismantled the President’s Trophy winner, should they still be considered a #8 seed? Detroit has a wealth of playoff success that San Jose sorely lacks, but for whatever the reason, I still am not buying in. Anaheim in 6.

#3 Vancouver vs. #4 Chicago – Would rust be a problem for the Vancouver Canucks? Despite the fact they swept the Blues in round 1, I am still a little sceptical of the Canucks’ offence. Chicago showed in their first round victory against the Flames that their young guns can play and do not fold under playoff pressure. Luongo will continue to be the difference, but this is no easy walk in the park. Vancouver in 6.

#1 Boston vs. #6 Carolina – Boston’s offence was too strong for the Habs. Carolina is a better team, and Cam Ward is not going to be shaky like Carey Price was. Still, I don’t see anything that would suggest an upset. Boston in 5.

#2 Washington vs. #4 Pittsburgh – I picked the Capitals to beat the Rangers in round 1, and that almost did not happen had the Rangers not self-implode. The Ovechkin-Crosby showdown will be very intriguing, but the difference in the series will come down to the supporting cast and the goaltending. Fleury is not an all-world goalie, but I would trust him over the rookie Valarmov, who had 6 regular season games and 5 playoff games under his belt. Pittsburgh in 6.

No comments: