Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Represent!

In the last entry I talked about my disappointment towards some selfish people and their despicable act. I came across a story later, and I really wanted to share it with you:

A woman was driving her car home one day. The traffic was terrible that early evening. To make matters worse, some drivers were driving in ways that were really annoying: changing lanes without signalling, cutting lanes dangerously, you name it. The woman got increasingly fed up with this scene, so started honking at any cars and drivers who she believed was getting on her nerves.

A while later, when the woman finally managed to get away from an area of excessive volume, she noticed a police car was behind her and had its lights on. The woman saw the police car pulling ahead, and signalling her to stop. The woman was confused: yes, she sometimes would speed, and had crossed an occasional red light, but how could she have done either of those from such terrible traffic? Unsure if she had made any traffic violation, she pulled over bewilderedly.


The policeman approached her and asked for her insurance paper and driver’s licence, and later returned the documentations to her and said she could go. The woman was really, really confused right about now. So she asked the police officer if something was wrong:
"No, ma'am. It's just that, when I saw the WWJD (What Would Jesus Do?) bumper sticker, and saw how you were honking at everybody, I was not sure if your vehicle was stolen..." The woman by now was blood-red, completely embarrassed and ashamed...

Knowingly or unknowingly, willingly or unwillingly, we go into this world representing a lot of things: for me, I am a Chinese-Canadian, I am a Christian, I am a teacher, I am a brother, I am a whole lot of things. I am the last person who likes stereotypes, but stereotypes sometimes do have their place. When we fail to represent, should we feel a little embarrassed and ashamed also?

No comments: