Monday, April 7, 2008

The End of an Era

On April 5, Trevor Linden of the Vancouver Canucks probably played his last ever game in the National Hockey League. At the end of the game, he was greeted with one of the warmest reception ever in the Vancouver sports scene. Kudos also to Jerome Iginla and the Calgary Flames for coming out from the dressing room to shake hands with Linden like the way hockey players do at the end of a hard-fought playoffs series. This piece here is dedicated to Mr. Trevor Linden, my favourite Vancouver Canuck.

Trevor Linden will always be an especially special player in my heart because we practically came to Vancouver at the same time. He was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in June of 1988. I immigrated to Vancouver in July of 1988. I practically grew up in Vancouver watching Trevor Linden with a Vancouver Canucks jersey on his back. I could remember, as if it was yesterday, when I listened to the radio broadcast of the Canucks games. My English listening skills were terrible then – I could not understand half the time what legendary broadcaster Jim Robson was saying in the play-by-play. But Robson’s voice was filled with passion, and I could feel the excitement through his voice. Trevor Linden’s name was one he frequently mentioned. I did not understand what a "rookie" was back in the day, but this first-year player managed to score 30 goals in his first season, not a bad feat for the not-so-powerful Vancouver Canucks.

I became a Canuck fan since. And though Linden was not initially my favourite player, he was such a consistent performer that I grew to respect more and more. When the spring of 1994 arrived, Trevor Linden, along with my then favourite player, goalie Kirk McLean, took the Canucks to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, it was the highlight of my sports viewing life. I remember this picture so well, but I also remember the riot that kept me glued to the radio following the loss in game 7…

The Canucks’ fortunes started to sink not long after the 94 season. When Mark Messier and Mike Keenan took away the captaincy from Trevor Linden’s sweater (Linden publically offered it to Messier, but I was certain that Keenan and Messier pressured Linden into doing so), and subsequently sent him off to the New York Islanders, I was crushed. I actually vowed not to follow the Vancouver Canucks, and I did not for a few years.

Trevor Linden eventually came back. Though he was not the same player he once was offensively, he was endeared even more by many hockey fans, including me. It was as if y
ou have to lose something (in this case, someone) to truly appreciate him.

The end of the era was looming closer and closer, but Linden had always defied the force of nature when the playoffs arrived. During the quest to the Stanley Cup, Linden would always rise to the occasion, setting up big goals and scoring game winners. The aura around him went beyond the letter he wore on his jersey – the fact that Trevor Linden is playing in a playoff game meant the Vancouver Canucks would always have a chance to eek out a win.

But head coach Alain Vigneault did not seem to appreciate Linden for who he is.
Benching the Vancouver icon 23 times this season, in spite of Linden’s prowess to win the game when it counts the most (does he ever miss a shot in the shootout?). The writing is on the wall – the coach does not want Linden, and, true to his form, Linden will not walk away while throwing everyone under the bus. He will leave without pointing his fingers at people, and would focus on how blessed he has felt for the love he has received from the Vancouver fans.

And class goes beyond his act in the rink. Outside the rink, Trevor Linden is as good, if not a better, person. As a child, I could remember Linden speaking on behalf of the Canuck Place Children’s Hospice, a palliative care facility that provides a place for children with terminal diseases to spend their last days in. I actually knew a friend who spent some time in the hospice. She was visited by the Canucks players on several occasions. I am sure Linden was one of the many fine men who had paid her a visit. For this and much other community work, Trevor Linden has won the King Clancy Trophy for humanitarian efforts.

Trevor Linden may have played his last game as a Vancouver Canuck, and though this piece here does not describe well enough how I respect the man, I would say that I will continue to wear proudly my #16 Vancouver Canuck jersey for many, many years to come.

Thanks for everything you have done for the city of Vancouver, Mr. Linden! You will always be, in my heart, Mr. Canuck.

No comments: